Friday, January 13, 2017

Best Thrifting Finds of 2016


This will inevitably just take up space, but...there was no way I was leaving the market without it. $7.50! Seems complete, save for the vampire fangs--which I am totally okay with being missing because they likely would have been in a stranger's mouth at some point.

* * *




This book gets mentioned in Alan Moore's Promethea, which I had just read two days before going to the flea market. I had assumed that the author and the book were both fictitious inventions by Moore, but then I found this 1896 edition waiting for me. As I was looking at it, the seller scurried up next to me and offered to sell it to me for half price. $5 later, it is now mine. Oh, and it was previously the property of the Lawn Tennis Club of Yonkers, according to the seal.

* * *



I'm under-read in supermarket Gothic romances, but I'm sure this omnibus collection from Reader's Digest will help get me caught up. Bought purely on the enticement of the cover alone.

* * *


I picked this up because; 1) it's the one Dead Can Dance album I don't have and 2) the packaging has a weird nostalgia to it. Remember back when Tower Records existed and could charge $15.99 for a cd? Remember those silver holographic tabs they put on the edges to prevent theft? It was like 1995 all over again when I opened this.

* * *



The dust jacket is beat to hell, but come on...Lon Chaney wrote the foreword! This is like my dream Monster Manual right here.

* * *

I picked up a book by Arch Merrill purely on a whim; I saw that it was a book about upstate New York history, which you don't see that often, and the price was right. After reading it, I had to track down a couple more. Although the historical stories related in his books require a little modern fact-checking, they relate amazing pieces of forgotten history full of oddballs and oddities. These are the bits and pieces of strange local history that we lose as the world marches on, so it was truly thrilling to find such an able account of things I otherwise wouldn't know about the place I grew up in.

* * *



Not a thrifty find, but rather a suggestion for refreshment after a long day of crawling the flea markets: the Jungle Bird.

1 1/2 oz Kraken rum
1/2 oz Campari
1 1/2 oz pineapple juice
1/2 oz lime juice
1/2 oz simple syrup